Monday, July 4, 2011

Philosophy: "Why do Good if everyone is not"?

so here's my assignment in my philosophy class. disregard any wrong grammar you can find.hahaha!=)


Chua, Tymothy T.
Philo 106 B
July 4, 2011
A Beacon In The Darkness

            “Let there be peace on Earth, and let it begin with me” –excerpt from Vince Gill’s famous song.
            All over our land, the forces between doing good and doing bad have an intense competition, and the business setting is not an exception to that battle. As a business student, we are all aware of the different frauds of some international companies and its consequences. We also heard of some rugs-to-riches story of successful entrepreneurs. Yet, it does not mean that if one is doing the right thing, then one will become successful. There are those who stick to their principles of doing the right thing ended up nothing, and there are also some people who cheats the customers, rob the company, and manipulating some reports, ended rich and they are living the time of their life.
            In our evil-present society, the question now is- “why do good”, basically my answer for that is to inspire others. If all of our companions are doing something that is morally wrong, don’t go with the flow. Hence, try to change the flow. Doing the right thing will not harm us and we will not lose something from doing it. We never know on how big are we going to change the system or a person by just emulating in our lives the right thing to do.
            Obviously, I’m trying say is that human beings are given free will by God so it is our own choice on what are we going to do and not. In some way, it depends on the foundation our parents have taught us or our surroundings, but I’m not saying that a personality depends on these. We always have a choice and as the saying of William Ernest Henley - we are the captain of our soul, and the master of our fate.
            We are aware of the moments wherein we do wrong to others and that is when our conscience knocks on our door. It’s a matter of clean conscience and the ability to sleep without something bothering us.
            In my opinion, doing “good” will make us feel better. As an example, last summer I had this summer job to earn a little sum of money. I worked in a local bazaar’s warehouse. In front of that warehouse, there is this little store where I usually buy my snacks. One day I bought something and handed over my payment and for unknown reason the cashier’s change is bigger than my payment, so I returned back the excess. When I went to the warehouse, most of my co-worker told me that next time I must keep the excess because it is the mistake of the cashier and let that cashier suffer the consequences but deep within my conscience I’m happy that I returned the excess. It’s just like somebody put a big medal on me. It’s just a simple act but it made my day and my stay in the summer job every time I look on that store.
            Furthermore, whether we are appreciated or not by people, we have to keep doing good so as to influence other people to do good and eventually some people will realize that doing good will result to a good surroundings. When everybody is doing what is good, then there will be a better future ahead of us. In good thing that we do we are appreciated by the Supreme Being.
            To end, each of us as a creation of God holds within our heart a flame, a beacon to guide through the darkness. If we can make this shine upon another and influence them then therein lies the purpose of our living.

2 comments:

  1. the heck!
    buti pa yours Mot! it has a flow.. when i wrote mine, ugh, never mind... >:(

    magaling Mot! :)

    ReplyDelete